What your peer support group will need?
This is about things your peer support group might need.
You will need a place to meet.
A good meeting place will help people feel safe and included. Meeting places should be accessible and easy for people to get to. You can get support and give support.
Food and drink
Have food and drink at meetings.
This makes people feel welcome and keeps them refreshed. You might also need
- A fridge
- Things to make tea and coffee
- Cups, plates and cutlery.
Things you might need to run the meeting
- Butchers paper and markers
- Paper and pens
- Technology for example iPad, laptop, phone, projector
Tell people about the group
These are ways you can tell people about the group.
- Fliers and posters
- Emails and letters
- Social media such as Facebook
- Text message or phone call
Communicate with your group
Everyone communicates differently.
You need to find the best ways to communicate with your group to give them information or remind them about meetings.
- Facebook or email are good for reaching people at the same time
- Text messages are another option
- Some people prefer to be contacted by phone
- Some people prefer letters
You might run training so your group can learn new things.
Think about what training your group might want
- Meeting skills
- Leadership skills
- Advocacy skills
There are lots of different ways to get training
- A member giving training during the meeting
- An organisation or guest speaker run training
- Learning on the internet